Friday 15 October 2010

You or Me - Breaking the Iceberg

I was so busy cleaning my shelf and arranging all those old books. They are all nearly 7 to 10 years old, holding all those precious moments of my college days.

I touched each and every book, remembering whose subject it was, and the lecturer who handled the subject, his class moments, funny incidents and all those chit chats done during the class hours. All of a sudden, a small bit of paper popped out.

Oh, that was a chit paper, written by me and my close friend Savitha, full of our comments about the boring class. "Mythili, how many years jail punishment will this sir get for murdering me?"... "Hey look at that crow in that tree. It talks better than the person standing before me"... "What did amma cook today. I am bored with hostel food. Give me the tiffin box gal".... Lot more.

Since we were not able to abscond from the class and not able to talk, we made that chit chat.

My memories started flying back to those years, where we both used to be so thick friends that every one used to call us "Fevi Quicks". We always had the thought we cannot be away from each other and planned a lot of ways, on how to be together forever.

The days, we roamed together and time spent in each others home, full of fun and joy. But life changed all our track. After college, gradually the touch between us reduced and I don't remember exactly when it got vanished completely from the heart. In a ten years span, almost all are forgotten. Even when I remembered the college days in between my other works, I always had the feeling "Why me? She too has my contact details and she didn't respond to my mail that I sent 3 years before. Let her mail me, if she wants".

Now, the chit papers kindled my feelings, my friendship, from bottom of my heart. I opened my laptop and started typing a mail.

Wait... hold on...

Are you sure, she is checking mails regularly? Are you sure, she is going to respond your mail? I felt something raising and falling again and again inside my heart. No this time I am not giving up.

I ran to my book shelf again. My hands ran up and down, searching for something. Gotcha... Got it. The address book we created during our college days, having all our classmates phone number and home address. Now I feel a shivering inside me. I don't know why.

I ran to my Tata DOCOMO OneTouch Net Phone and started dialling Savitha's number. I know it is her home number and she got married within few years of our college and not sure where she is living now. But with hope I dialled the number.

Its ringing. I started hearing my heart beat. I didn't even had such a feeling, while waiting for my test results.

"Hello", a tiny little voice. "Yaaru venum ungalukku (whom do you want to speak?)".

"Savitha Irukkaala (Is Savitha available there)?"

"Amma unakkuthaan phone (Amma it is a call for you)"

Oh wow, is that Savitha's daughter? So sweet voice. I felt seeing that little tender.

"Hello yaaru (Hello, who is that)?"

I couldn't reply for a while. Her voice didn't change in this 8 years. She again asked the question who is this.

"Your friend. A forgotten friend". She recognized my voice. There was sudden silence.... and came a breaking little voice "Ammuuuuuuu" and this is how she used to call me...

"Yes... Your ammu... your forgotten ammu"... I felt my voice breaking and tears ready to roll out at any moment.

I heard Savitha's broken voice again and again saying "Ammu" and she was not able to talk any more. She cried. We consoled each other. After few emotional moments, we started talking... talking... talking... oh my goodness, it was nearly 1.5 hours I spoke to her.

She said she came home for vacation. We exchanged our contact numbers and promised each other to be in touch forever and for sure.

I felt light. The iceberg inside me is broken now. It is not heavy and all dissolved.

Note:

Dear Friends, this is an entry submitted for a contest in indiblogger.in. If you like my entry, please kindly vote here.

http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=35903

Thanks.

16 comments:

  1. Wonderfully scripted, voted for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sourav... Thats a great inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet reunion, Meetu...Truly emotional too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing can match the pleasure of finding an old friend again! Very well narrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice play of words, well narrated.:)
    great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one Mythilli :)
    It's a warm and heartfelt story, liked it :)
    Voting for you right away!

    All the best and keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much saras, manu and pawan for your encouragments :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully penned down! That was a touching post. Loved it! Voted for you Mythili! :)

    Hope you would like my post - When love calls

    ReplyDelete
  9. your way of written fine. Many thanks for your regional language interest
    pandiang
    verhal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Romeo, Pandiyanji and shahi :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll tweet this for you...!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post !! I have many such ice bergs to break as well :)

    Voting for you:)

    Please have a look at my posts as well and do vote for them if you like any.

    http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=36276

    http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=34770

    http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=34887

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Shalini. Sure will check yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear foolwise, thank you so much for your wonderful help :-)

    ReplyDelete