Monday 12 July 2010

Are you Indira Gandhi?

When I were in 7th standard, I had a friend called Meenakshi. She studied in Tamil Medium school till her 6th standard and joined in our class (English Medium) for 7th standard. She was one of the bright students, who used to secure within first 3 ranks till her 6th standard. But due to the change in the medium of education, she got failed in her 7th standard. We all moved to class 8, but she moved to 7th standard Tamil medium as she couldn't cope up with English as her medium of studies.

Few weeks after the school started, I met her during lunch hours to check how she was doing. She was happy asusual (she was one happy queen of our class, who used to take things light and keep moving) and said she was happy to have new friends in her class.

I asked her "Didn't your parents scold you for not passing 7th standard?" She replied, "Yes, they did. Even few of my relatives commented on me. They compared me with all others and asked, am I not feeling shame to get failed when all my friends of my age moved to the next class. But I asked them a question back and they didn't dare to insult me any further".

I got too surprised and was too eager to learn what that question was. She told me that she asked her parents and others, "Even at your age, Indira Gandhi managed to become Prime Minister and Gandhiji managed to become Mahatma. Are you feeling shame that you couldn't achieve like them?"

At that age of 12 or 13, I really couldn't believe that one could able to shut others mouth with logical speaking and keep oneself happy without getting affected by others words. If I were in her place, I might have cried out my life or might have stopped going to school in fear to face others and their criticism.

4 comments:

  1. A true lesson which I have learned these days.Hats off to ur friend who did it at such young age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I am surprised she got away with something like that...my parents would have grounded me for life for talking back to them like that...even if it were true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahha...thats a cool question...blv it or not, but we indians need such quick witted people in our society to bring our normal senses back...we are so backward in thoughts...I appreciate ur frnd..

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice one ! amazing attitude ! thats how we all shud be ! easy going at life !

    ReplyDelete